For Inquiries Contact
Betty Jo Simon
10349 Century Lane
Overland Park, KS 66215-2201
Phone: (913) 888-4706
The Alpen Spielers are a dynamic and energetic German polka band from the Kansas City area. They perform the various styles and vast repertoire available to polka bands with enthusiasm that draws the audience into the music. Formed in October 1982, The Alpen Spielers have performed in and around Kansas City for parties and events.
During the last twelve years, the group has been featured at polka festivals thoughout the United States, including the notable Wurstfest. Betty Jo Simon, Steve Patke, and Paul Rodabaugh form the nucleus of the Alpen Spielers; however, the group often expands to include drums and trumpet for larger festivals.
From Waltzes to Marches, Ballads to Tangos, Schottisches to Polkas--the Alpen Spielers' music is for toe-tapping, dancing or just listening.
- Betty Jo Simon, leader of the Alpen Spielers, brings endless enthusiasm to the stage as vocalist, accordionist and music arranger. Her accordion has been equipped with a Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI), which combines the acoustical accordion with the authentic orchestral sounds of the Roland U-220 sound module. Betty Jo performs outside of the Alpen Spielers as a concert artist with her MIDI Accordion.
- Mark Cohick has been a freelance woodwind player in the Kansas City area for over twenty-five years, and has performed with the Kansas City Symphony, Kansas City Ballet, and Lyric Opera, as well as the Starlight Theater Orchestra, Kansas City Repertory Theater and Theater League productions. Mark has toured Europe with several New York productions of Broadway shows, and currently plays in the Philharmonia of Greater Kansas City, St. Joseph Symphony and the Liberty Symphony Orchestra. He is also adjunct professor of woodwinds at William Jewell College.
- Paul Rodabaugh provides the ensemble with a solid foundation playing tuba and alphorn. Drawing from experience as a music educator, Paul is skilled in many styles of music, including symphonic, Dixieland, musicals and ethnic. Paul also plays with other jazz and classical groups in the Kansas City area.
It is with a heavy heart, that the Alpen Spielers bid farewell to our friend, fellow musician, woodwind artist, and one of the original "Spielers", Steven Patke on June 25, 2005. Steve helped coin our name and his versatility and expertise on reeds added so much to our music. He was truly a musician's "musician". We are grateful we knew Steve and will forever cherish the time we had with him.
Listen to samples of each of these songs by clicking on the Play button next to each song's name.
- June 26th - Private Event (7 - 10pm)
- September 9th - Private Event (6 - 8pm)
- September 16th - Private Event (7 - 10pm)
- September 22nd - Macken Park, North Kansas City, MO (11:30 - 1pm)
- September 22nd - Private Event (6 - 10pm)
- September 23rd - Lee's Summit Oktoberfest, 3rd & Main, Lee's Summit, MO (5 - 10am)
- September 29th - Private Event (2 - 4pm)
- September 29th - Shawnee Oktoberfest, Shawnee Civic Center, Shawnee, KS (6 - 10pm)
- September 30th - Private Event (7 - 10pm)
- October 5th - Private Event (5 - 7pm)
- October 6th - Private Event (1:30 - 2:30pm)
- October 7th - Topeka Oktoberfest, Fairlawn Mall, 21st & Fairlawn, Topeka, KS (10 - 2pm)
- October 7th - St. Pius X Catholic Church, Mission, KS (6 - 9pm)
- October 13th - Private Event (4 - 5pm)
- October 14th - Holyfield Winery, Basehor, KS (12 - 4pm)
- October 15th - Church of the Ascension, 9510 W. 127th St., Overland Park, KS (6 - 9pm)
- October 17th - Overland Park Place, Overland Park, KS (2 - 4pm)
- October 21st - Beautiful Savior Catholic Church, Lee's Summit, MO (12:30 - 4:30pm)
- October 21st - Private Event (6:30 - 9:30pm)
- December 1st - Kristkindl Markt, 205 W. 65th St., KC., MO (5 - 9pm)